cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Choices

kellyrudnick
Level 1
Level 1

We have a network made up of primarily 3560 access switches. Our switches are on various versions, but all seem to run the SE release. Here is a list of some of what the versions are currently on the switches:

WS3560-48PS 12.2(25)SEE4-IP-Base

WS3560-48PS 12.2(25)SEE2-IP-Base

WS3560-48TS 12.2(25)SEB4-IP-Base

WS3560-48PS 12.2(35)SE5-IP-Base

WS3560-48PS 12.2(25)SEB1-IP-Base

The things in common appear to be: Release number (12.2), Family (SE), Feature Set (IP base).

My goal is to have them run on the latest and most stable IOS versions available, and preferably using the same version. In fact, I would like to have them boot using the IOS on a TFTP server, so I would like to limit the number of IOS to as little as possible.

When I went out to the Cisco Software Advisor, I think the latest most stable version for my switches was: 12.2(46)SE (c3560-ipbasek9-mz.12.2-46.SE).

Does this look correct?

What is the difference within the SE family (SE, SEE, SEB)?

Any tips or recommendations to make this process simpler in the future?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kelly,

it is a good idea to have the same stable release running on similar devices making the same job.

Next time the work will be easier because all of them will be running the same IOS so the problem will be only to find the right target image.

Usually subversioning like SEA to SEE was used as a way to trace some changes then Cisco decided to use only two letters to make it more clear. This is my guess. You see there are no SEx after 12.2(25).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

OK, the SEx to SE change helps clarify what I am now seeing on newer releases.

Thanks again.

OK, the SEx to SE change helps clarify what I am now seeing on newer releases.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card