cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to send a broadcast message on Unity 4.2?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Can someone outline for me the steps involved in setting up and sending out a voicemail broadcast message?

Can I create a the wav file recording for this in Unity?

Please advise. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds,

Vicky

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vicky,

Lunch went pretty long, lots of good cheer! The first link I sent lets you use a .wav file to send the Broadcast Message but there are other methods as well depending on your needs.There is a difference here as you nicely noted :) Broadcast Messages do not light MWI's. You can setup a Public Distribution List to accomplish this and Light MWI's;

From Unity Master Jeff Lindborg;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd8ad43

System Broadcast Messages Overview

Though system broadcast messages may sound similar to regular voice messages, they are not simply voice messages sent to a large distribution list. A system broadcast message is unique in the following ways:

•System broadcast messages are played immediately after subscribers log on to Cisco Unity by phone-even before they hear message counts for new and saved messages. After logging on, subscribers hear how many system broadcast messages they have and Cisco Unity begins playing them.

•For each system broadcast message, the sender specifies how long Cisco Unity will broadcast the message. The sender can specify that a system broadcast message is "active" for a day, a week, a month-even indefinitely. Subscribers hear only the system broadcast messages that are active at the time that they log on to Cisco Unity.

•Subscribers must listen to each system broadcast message in its entirety before Cisco Unity allows them to hear new and saved messages or to change setup options. Subscribers cannot fast-forward or skip a system broadcast message.

•If a subscriber hangs up before playing the entire system broadcast message, the message plays again the next time that the subscriber logs on to Cisco Unity by phone (assuming that the message is still active).

•When a subscriber has finished playing a system broadcast message, the message can either be replayed or permanently deleted. Subscribers cannot respond to, forward, or save system broadcast messages.

•Subscribers can receive an unlimited number of system broadcast messages.

•Subscribers receive system broadcast messages even when they exceed their mailbox size limits and are no longer able to receive other messages. Because of the way that the messages are stored on the Cisco Unity server, they are not included in the total mailbox size for each subscriber.

•New subscribers hear all active broadcast messages immediately after they enroll as a Cisco Unity subscriber.

•System broadcast messages do not light message waiting indicators (MWIs) on subscriber phones, nor do they cause distinctive dial tones to notify subscribers of a new message when they pick up their desk phone receiver. System broadcast messages also do not trigger message notifications for alternative devices, such as a pager or another phone.

•Subscribers do not receive system broadcast messages in the Cisco Unity Inbox.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag230e.html

Public Distribution Lists Overview

Public distribution lists are used to send voice messages to multiple subscribers. The subscribers that are assigned to a public distribution list typically are subscribers who need the same information on a regular basis, such as employees in a department or members of a team. The class of service that is associated with each subscriber account dictates whether subscribers can send messages to public distribution lists in Cisco Unity.

Cisco Unity automatically creates a public distribution list called All Subscribers. You may want to associate the All Subscribers list with every subscriber template.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag240e.html#wp1047746

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vicky,

Hope all is well with you!

Unity Broadcast Message Manager

Sending a New Broadcast Message

From this link;

http://ciscounitytools.com/App_BroadcastMessageManager.htm

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I found and read the broadcast message manager and I have created a distribution list in unity to test with. My question is, do these work together or are they two separate methods of sending a voicemail message to a list of end users at once? I have read a few different blogs and documents on cisco's website and I am a little confused. One method will deliver messages to all the list members but won't light the MWI and one way can...I think??

Where do I record the message for the distribution list? Is the message recorded within the unity distribution list or do you create an extension with a message and assign that extension to the distribution list?

Sorry for all the questions but like I said...I am a little confused.

Please let me know.

Much obliged!

Rgds,

Vicky

Hey Vicky,

No worries! I'm just heading out for a luncheon with the crew, but if you can wait I do have some answers to these good questions.

Cheers!

Rob

Definitely. Enjoy lunch and let me know as soon as you get a chance.

Thanks again.

Hi Vicky,

Lunch went pretty long, lots of good cheer! The first link I sent lets you use a .wav file to send the Broadcast Message but there are other methods as well depending on your needs.There is a difference here as you nicely noted :) Broadcast Messages do not light MWI's. You can setup a Public Distribution List to accomplish this and Light MWI's;

From Unity Master Jeff Lindborg;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd8ad43

System Broadcast Messages Overview

Though system broadcast messages may sound similar to regular voice messages, they are not simply voice messages sent to a large distribution list. A system broadcast message is unique in the following ways:

•System broadcast messages are played immediately after subscribers log on to Cisco Unity by phone-even before they hear message counts for new and saved messages. After logging on, subscribers hear how many system broadcast messages they have and Cisco Unity begins playing them.

•For each system broadcast message, the sender specifies how long Cisco Unity will broadcast the message. The sender can specify that a system broadcast message is "active" for a day, a week, a month-even indefinitely. Subscribers hear only the system broadcast messages that are active at the time that they log on to Cisco Unity.

•Subscribers must listen to each system broadcast message in its entirety before Cisco Unity allows them to hear new and saved messages or to change setup options. Subscribers cannot fast-forward or skip a system broadcast message.

•If a subscriber hangs up before playing the entire system broadcast message, the message plays again the next time that the subscriber logs on to Cisco Unity by phone (assuming that the message is still active).

•When a subscriber has finished playing a system broadcast message, the message can either be replayed or permanently deleted. Subscribers cannot respond to, forward, or save system broadcast messages.

•Subscribers can receive an unlimited number of system broadcast messages.

•Subscribers receive system broadcast messages even when they exceed their mailbox size limits and are no longer able to receive other messages. Because of the way that the messages are stored on the Cisco Unity server, they are not included in the total mailbox size for each subscriber.

•New subscribers hear all active broadcast messages immediately after they enroll as a Cisco Unity subscriber.

•System broadcast messages do not light message waiting indicators (MWIs) on subscriber phones, nor do they cause distinctive dial tones to notify subscribers of a new message when they pick up their desk phone receiver. System broadcast messages also do not trigger message notifications for alternative devices, such as a pager or another phone.

•Subscribers do not receive system broadcast messages in the Cisco Unity Inbox.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag230e.html

Public Distribution Lists Overview

Public distribution lists are used to send voice messages to multiple subscribers. The subscribers that are assigned to a public distribution list typically are subscribers who need the same information on a regular basis, such as employees in a department or members of a team. The class of service that is associated with each subscriber account dictates whether subscribers can send messages to public distribution lists in Cisco Unity.

Cisco Unity automatically creates a public distribution list called All Subscribers. You may want to associate the All Subscribers list with every subscriber template.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag240e.html#wp1047746

Hope this helps!

Rob

This is perfect. Thank you again!

Hey Vicky,

You are most welcome buddy! Thanks for your patience while I was out "living it up!"

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: