cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

c3560g IOS Upgrade to support Non-Cisco SFP modules

cliphster55
Level 1
Level 1

I have to upgrade the IOS of 6 new c3560g's to support non-cisco SFP modules(MRV single mode fiber modules). I want to use the "service unsupported-transceiver" & "no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid" commands to do this.

I am taking them from c3560-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5/c3560-ipservices-mz.1

22-35.SE5.bin to c3560-advipservicesk9-mz.122-46.SE.bin. I run the copy tftp flash command and I watch what appears to be the firmware upgrade happening. When I come back up after the reboot and perform a "show versionthe display tells me that I still have the original firmware version"(...-35.SE.bin). When I attempt to perform a second "copy tftp flash" the switch tells me that this is already installed(...-46.SE.bin) and do I want to overwrite the currently installed. If I say yes...it appears to perform the tftp upload again and after the reboot I am still at the same place I was before"(...-35.SE.bin). What am I missing here? Do I need to do this from the ROMMON mode instead?

3 Replies 3

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Cliff,

Do you have the boot string in your config?

add

boot system flash:c3560-advipservicesk9-mz.122-46.SE.bin

then save the config and reboot. If it still does not come up with the right image please post the output of "show boot"

HTH,

Mark

Thanks...I have never had to put a specific boot command into a switch before but it took it and came up on the new firmware. I appreciate the prompt response.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have more than 1 image in flash and there is no boot statement it is going to load the first image it finds in flash which would be your old image so you have to specify in a boot statement which version you want loaded . Depending on the config register setting you don't necessarily need a boot statement it will pick the first one in flash .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card