CCNA Lab or Sim?

Unanswered Question
Dec 5th, 2008

Ok which would be best to practice with, a home lab of a router and 2 switches or's software? I am on quite the budget and have to keep my total spending down to $250 CDN. All input is always appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Fri, 12/05/2008 - 12:47

I have used Routersim and can tell you that you will be better off to purchase your own equipment (even if its just Cisco 2500s). The problem is that the routersim is limited to what is has been programmed for. I recall one time where I was trying to do a command from a previous chapter and it would error - I had to check if I was making the error or whether it was a program limitation. Very frustrating when you are trying to learn.

Heed my advice - buy your own equipment.

ccnagerald Sat, 12/06/2008 - 05:36

Will 2500's be any good for the new exam? I've been looking at 2950 switches and it looks like they're gonna take most of my budget. What about 2621's, I found a couple that are relatively cheap. I can get power tested, no face plat stuff for around 20-30 dollars, but is it worth the risk. I also want to go CCSP after this so I need stuff that will be useful after CCNA.

CriscoSystems Tue, 12/16/2008 - 14:49

Also highly recommended is The Bryant Advantage - if that's still around, that is (I haven't seen as many ads for it as I used to).

Chris Bryant operates several pods of routers and you can rent some console time with them that you just telnet into via the Internet.

(this is a neat question; what percentage of traffic on the global Internet is telnet traffic?)

I have no financial stake in The Bryant Advantage, I'm just relaying that I've heard really good things about it.

And, if you are looking at CCSP or other Professional-level certs in the future, you will at one point have to expand your budget considerably.

Justin Brenton Sun, 02/15/2009 - 01:35

Have you thought of using emulation? is a great IOS emulator that you can use to setup a lab on a pc.

Alot of CCNP and CCIE's are using this for preparation. I'm using this myself.

Best of all it's free and it's not a simulator it's a IOS emulator.

Hope this helps, please rate if so

This Discussion