Help with home equipment for test

Unanswered Question
Dec 6th, 2008

I am wanting to get some equipment for home to take my CCNA. Could some of you give me an idea of the items I should buy and where would be a good place to get them. I seem to get different info everywhere I check and really don't seem to have a good understanding of what I need as a unfamliar person to the field, also with a low budget. Thanks for your help.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
crow930us Sat, 12/06/2008 - 23:15

I searched around eBay for several months looking for what different people were offering. I ended up buying 3 switches & 3 routers for about $300. I think each of the devices have since reached their end of life/support, but for use as lab equipment they work just fine. They also worked while I went through the CCNP track of exams too.

Remember - Much of what is covered in the CCNA exams can also be used on older equipment for Cisco. The biggest advantage you have with a home lab set up is getting familiarity with the command line and being able to run cable from one device to another.

rob.huffman Sun, 12/07/2008 - 08:57

Hi JD,

I saw this posted by Andy a couple of months ago and thought about what a great thing this was :)

From the author of the CiscoPress CCNA Study Guides Wendell Odom (all sorts of invaluable info on building a CCNA lab);

Hope this helps! And best of luck with your studies,

PS: I would look into CBT Nuggets for some excellent video info for the CCNA Track.

This Discussion