cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Summarization yes or no

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

I redesign my network(which is about 30 routers and 60 switches) in order to be possible to configure summarization(specific IPs in specific places). I use EIGRP as my routing protocol . Does it worth it to configure summarization with that size of network? If yes manual or auto?

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

It would really depend on the way you have designed your IP schema.

Automatic summarization will only summarize at classful boundaries.

Manual summarization at the interfaces could reduce the number of entries in the routing table as well limit the eigrp query process

Narayan

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Narayan pointed out, summarization is a great technique for reducing the size of the routing table in your routers.

With that said, you must proceed with care when deploying summarization, specially with distance vector protocols such as EIGRP. EIGRP has the split-horizon rule automatically enabled and it won't receive a route that it already knows (loop avoidance).

If you were to summarize a couple of subnets and try to advertise the summary, the remote routers must have different summarized networks else the routes won't be received.

HTH,

___

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: