Views
Helpful
Replies

RAP with wireless client

yong1794
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I'd like to know a wireless client can associate to the RAP(Roof MESH AP). And can the MAP work like a workgroup bridge?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The great thing about WCS and Location is that you can plot your Mesh APs on an outdoor map and you can visually see the path of the Mesh APs back to the RAP. As for LBS from a client perspective, Yet it does work just like any other Access Point.

The problem however is that in terms of normal outdoor mesh, Access points are further away from each other and the client than in most indoor solutions, so the accuracy of Location is somewhat effected.

I doubt you would be able to tell within 30 feet exactly where a client is, but if you had a perimeter that you wanted to locate people within, I do not think you'll have any problems.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

Yes and Yes.

Wireless clients can connect to the RAP as well as any other MAP. With that said however, I've generally only allowed Clients on the 2.4Ghz side and used the A Radio for bridging only. Configuration wise, just treat the SSID Configuration as any other Access Point.

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

As for the MAP working like a Workgroup bridge, this works.

Any VLANs you trunk to the RAP, can be trunked through to the MAP. Just make sure you have your switchports configured with the appropriate VLANs/VTP information.

I'm doing this with a Traffic/Camera installation where I have Mesh Access Points connecting to switches that have Camera and Traffic Equipment on the network using the MAP as essentially a workgroup bridge.

Thanks your helpful reply.

I have one more question about MESH solution.

I know that the controller based wireless lan infrastructure with WCS and Location server can provide location based services.

Can MESH solution also support LBS? and How accurate wireless cients(laptops) location detection?

The great thing about WCS and Location is that you can plot your Mesh APs on an outdoor map and you can visually see the path of the Mesh APs back to the RAP. As for LBS from a client perspective, Yet it does work just like any other Access Point.

The problem however is that in terms of normal outdoor mesh, Access points are further away from each other and the client than in most indoor solutions, so the accuracy of Location is somewhat effected.

I doubt you would be able to tell within 30 feet exactly where a client is, but if you had a perimeter that you wanted to locate people within, I do not think you'll have any problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: