cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

only config backups

u346874_2
Level 1
Level 1

What might be best way of collecting config backups only. Is there any tool for that which do same thing that RME "config backup" Every time when configuring switch/router RME collects changed config. Is there any other tool which do same or do i have to buy LMS bundle and only RME for that. Is that possible anyway.

any idea

Juha

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are some Open Source tools such as Rancid (http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/) that can do config management of Cisco devices. RME cannot be purchased as a separate application.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Use the IOS "archive" feature.

Step 1

Setup an FTP server

Step 2

In the FTP server, setup a directory structure (recommended if you have multiple routers/switches and you want to secure the directory from other users)

Step 3

Create a user account in the FTP server with write permission. i.e.

Login ID: cisco-user

Login Password: cisco-password

Step 4

Configure Cisco Router

Router_Name(config)#ip ftp username cisco-user

Router_Name(config)#ip ftp password cisco-password

Router_Name(config)#archive

Router_Name(config-archive)#path ftp://ftp_server_ip_address/directory_level1/directory_level2/Router_Name

Router_Name(config-archive)#write-memory

Router_Name(config-archive)#end

Router_Name#wr mem

Everytime you save the router configuration, it will send a backup to the FTP server with a suffix of -1, -2, -3, and so on….i.e.

Router_Name-1

Router_Name-2

Router_Name-3

You can also use SCP or SSH. But for sanity, start with FTP first to see how it works.

WARNING: If you opt to use server side scripting, be very careful where you put the script and who has access to it as the username and password are usually in the script.