Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI question

ksarin123_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone -

I have a Cisco 2811 router that I need to configure for a PRI line. This PRI line will be used for dial-up by special handheld devices that are used to transfer data from the handheld to an application server via means of a 2811 router.

That being said, the 2811 I currently have has a VWIC2-2MFT T1/E1 card. Can I use this card for the PRI? If yes, do I need to order the PVDM modules?

In a previous deployment, I remember we had to use HWIC card.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Kunal,

I've found the datasheet of the VWIC2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html

It looks like there is a dependency on the network module in which you insert it.

"Customers who choose to integrate data and voice in stages to preserve their investment in WAN interfaces. For example, the Cisco MFT VWIC2 can support data-only applications as a WAN interface, and then be reused to integrate data and voice with the drop-and-insert multiplexer function or configured to support packetized voice (voice over IP [VoIP] or voice over Frame Relay [VoFR]) when installed in the Digital T1/E1 Packet Voice Trunk Network Module (NM-HDV), 2 slot IP Communications Enhanced Voice/Fax Network Module (NM-HD-2VE), or IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice/Fax Network Module (NM-HDV2), IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice NM with 1 T1/E1 (part number NM-HDV2-1T1/E1), IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice NM with 2 T1/E1 (part number NM-HDV2-2T1/E1)."

So your understanding is correct the right module provides the missing resources.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kunal,

you should be able to use your current hardware: you want to use the PRI for DDR so no DSP resources provided by PVDM are needed for this task (they were be needed if the PRI were used for voice applications)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe -

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am trying to configure controller T1 0/3/0, and type the command "pri-group timeslots 1-24". When I do that, I get the following error message:

Not enough DSP resources available to configure pri-group on controller T1 0/3/0

% The remaining dsp resources are enough for 0 time slots.

% For current codec complexity, 2 extra dsp(s) are required to create this voice port.

This leads to me to believe it is looking for DSP modules. What do you think?

Hello Kunal,

I agree with you the messages are clear but you may need to remove some commands related to codec because again codecs are used for Voice applications and you just want to perform DDR dial on demand routing not to carry voice conversations

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe

Below is the router config. I can't find any commands related to codec.

Current configuration : 992 bytes

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname AEMDRP2

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

card type t1 0 3

!

no aaa new-model

!

resource policy

!

network-clock-participate wic 3

ip subnet-zero

!

!

ip cef

!

!

!

isdn switch-type primary-ni

!

voice-card 0

dspfarm

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

username admin privilege 15 password 7 xxxx

!

!

controller T1 0/3/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

!

controller T1 0/3/1

shutdown

framing esf

linecode b8zs

!

!

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 192.168.248.231 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

shutdown

duplex auto

speed auto

!

ip classless

!

!

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

!

!

!

!

!

control-plane

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

line con 0

exec-timeout 30 0

login local

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

exec-timeout 30 0

login local

transport input telnet ssh

!

scheduler allocate 20000 1000

!

end

Hello Kunal,

I've found the datasheet of the VWIC2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d2db.html

It looks like there is a dependency on the network module in which you insert it.

"Customers who choose to integrate data and voice in stages to preserve their investment in WAN interfaces. For example, the Cisco MFT VWIC2 can support data-only applications as a WAN interface, and then be reused to integrate data and voice with the drop-and-insert multiplexer function or configured to support packetized voice (voice over IP [VoIP] or voice over Frame Relay [VoFR]) when installed in the Digital T1/E1 Packet Voice Trunk Network Module (NM-HDV), 2 slot IP Communications Enhanced Voice/Fax Network Module (NM-HD-2VE), or IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice/Fax Network Module (NM-HDV2), IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice NM with 1 T1/E1 (part number NM-HDV2-1T1/E1), IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice NM with 2 T1/E1 (part number NM-HDV2-2T1/E1)."

So your understanding is correct the right module provides the missing resources.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe -

Thanks very much for your help.

Looks like I will need the PVDM modules.

On Cisco 2800/3800 integrated services routers, digital cross-connecting of channels is supported by the Cisco MFT VWIC2 when inserted into an HWIC slot or any of the network modules listed above.??!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: