cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509-E: upgrade ios(Flash)

colmgrier
Level 1
Level 1

I have to upgrade the ios of the 6509-E switch. The latest ios requires Minimum Memory: DRAM:512 MB Flash:512 MB. Can I use a compact flash (512MB) disk in Disk:0 on the sup-720 or do I need to upgrade the internal flash (65536K bytes of Flash internal SIMM).

6509-E show version..........

cisco WS-C6509-E (R7000) processor (revision 1.2) with 458720K/65536K

bytes of memory.

Processor board ID SMG0929N83P

SR71000 CPU at 600Mhz, Implementation 0x504, Rev 1.2, 512KB L2 Cache

Last reset from power-on

55 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

180 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

4 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

1917K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of packet buffer memory.

65536K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).

Configuration register is 0x2102

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Colm

You can use the compact flash and then when you have downloaded the image you can tell the switch to boot from the compact flash ie.

boot system flash disk<0|1>:/

Jon

Thanks John,

Basically the ios software image will boot from the flash disk0: on the Sup-720. How is the flash used on the Sup-720?

Thanks,

Colm

Colm

Not sure what you are asking. The flash is used like flash on other devices. Compact flash is just an external disk if you don't have the space on the supervisor.

Jon

Colm,

The flash is a file system. Once the IOS loads into memory, you can technically remove the PCMCIA/Flash Card from the module and the switch will continue to run as the IOS runs from memory. It's not recommended to remove it as the switch won't be able to load again in case of software failure or during reboot, but you get the idea :)

The flash is used during loading process and to store any other files you may need such as: crash-info or any other type of files.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: