WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE

WS-F6K-MSFC

WS-X6248-RJ-45

WS-X6248A-TEL

WS-X6248A-TEL

WS-X6148-RJ-21

WS-X6248A-TEL

WS-X6408A-GBIC

We've had the line card module in slot 4 fail multiple times over the last few months. By fail, I mean it goes into "other" state and all ports are listed as "errdisable." We've also had the module in slot 5 fail twice with the same symptoms.

We recently had the sup fail along with the line card, so since we had a spare chassis, I swapped that while I was at it in an attempt to eliminate the chassis as a potential culprit.

I've had this issue with both WS-X6148-RJ-21 and WS-X6248A-TEL modules. Cisco has done a site analysis regarding proper grounding etc. and we have since had a contractor perform the grounding per Cisco, so I can't see that as an issue.

Furthermore, we have 9 other chassis throughout our campus with the exact same setup running the same FW/SW revs so I'm not seeing it as a bug as this issue has been isolated to this one location and specific slot(s).

At this point I'm left to think it's something on the physical layer - 25pr telco cables, patch panel - something? Any thoughts would appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I swapped that while I was at it in an attempt to eliminate the chassis as a potential culprit.

I've had this issue with both WS-X6148-RJ-21 and WS-X6248A-TEL modules.

I'm sorry - you lost me there. You meant to tell us that the problem is reoccurring with the replaced chassis as well?

It can also be another module (brought from the defective chassis) that is causing the problem.

__

Edison.

mihanlin
Level 1
Level 1

You would need to tell us exactly what log messages you had at the time which would indicate the failure reason - such as SCP ping failure, COIL Packet buffer error etc.

Also you should mention what version of IOS/CatOS you are running.

Lastly, what errdisable reason was logged when the ports are shutdown?

OK, try this again,

Chassis "A"

multiple failures on slot 4 with modules being RMA'd each time.

two failures on slot 5 with modules being RMA'd each time.

RMA'd chassis "A" after the following modules failed, Sup module, modules in both slots 4 and 5.

We had another chassis in our lab that was used to replace chassis "A" in order to maintain production environment.

We've now had another module in slot 4 fail.

We're running a CATOs setup (soon to be straight IOS. Version info is in attachment.

Here's the show log with the only error msgs being presented. This is from when the Sup failed:

12. 8/9/2008,10:41:47: SYNDIAGS:Local Test Mode encounters Minor hardware problem in Module #1

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card