cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the 3560 L3 switch NAT

arielnamuco436
Level 1
Level 1

If I connect a router to L3 switch can I NAT the public IP on the switch?

i.e 1.2.3.4 NAT to 192.168.1.4

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well no, you can do quite a few other things as well such as QOS, multicast etc. but not NAT. There are a few people who would like to see NAT on some of the lower end switches :-)

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately no. The only switch you can still purchase which supports NAT is the 6500 which is a very expensive solution :-).

Best to do the NAT on the router.

Jon

Thanks for you quick reply Jon. So basically all I can do on L3 switches is routing?

Well no, you can do quite a few other things as well such as QOS, multicast etc. but not NAT. There are a few people who would like to see NAT on some of the lower end switches :-)

Jon

As Jon notes, L3 switches often can do more than just route. I wanted to add they are often "feature impaired" compared to the software routers. This limitation doesn't apply to just the "little" L3 switches (e.g. 3560), it can also apply to the "big" switches, e.g. 6500/7600, too. For instance, QoS on a 6500 with LAN line cards isn't as quite as feature rich as on an ISR's. Or, 7600 doesn't currently support being a PfR master. The reason for this, the L3 switches are trying to perform all their primary functions directly in dedicated hardware, for speed, and they don't have enough of it to support all the possible IOS features.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card