cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LRE 2 Wire Solution

GREGORY JACKSON
Level 1
Level 1

Customer wants a 2 wire LRE solution the will provide them 100 Mb of throughput maximum distance is 2500 ft. I have not been able to locate any devices that supports that type of throughput on a two wire.

12 Replies 12

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I found one "brand X" Ethernet extender product that claims "line speeds up to 25 Mbps symmetrical at distances up to 2,666 feet (0.8 km)" on twisted pair but 100 Mbps is likely going to be difficult for any device for that distance.

Other options, such as fiber, copper repeater or wireless are off the table?

Thakns for you note ... Copper is off the table for now but what is the copper repeater? The client currently uses Paragain modems to extend the network but they want more bandwidth over the existing 2 wire infrastructure until they can move to fiber. I did not ask about wireless but I think because of the strict security wireless is really not an option.

Technically, I believe an Ethernet repeater is another name for an Ethernet hub, although in this instance, I'm thinking up one or more switches/bridges along the way. I'm also guessing this is likely off the table too, but if the link was indoors within the same building, it can be used as a way to extend the length of copper run.

[edit]

With regard to wireless security, there's encryption much, much better than WEP. Also, I'm not thinking of just wireless in the AP bands but dedicated microwave and such.

Well I was able to find (with the help of the customer) the below solution;

http://ethernetextender.com/ethernet%20extenders/860.php

this is not exactly what he wanted but he wass hoping to find a gbic solution. Not sure that's possible.

Did your read the datasheet carefully?

Functionality:

Up to 700ft(200m) - 100Mbps

700ft(200m) to 1,350ft(400m) - 90Mbps

1,350ft(400m) to 1,970ft(600m) - 70Mbps

1,970ft(600m) to 2,625ft(800m) - 52Mbps

2,625ft(800m) to 3,280ft(1000m) - 42Mbps

Up to 6,000ft(1,828m) - 30Mbps

Although about 2x the performance of the device I found.

Aahh yes read the fine print.. gotcha

Thanks I guess I should have read a little deeper.

G

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

I thought LRE was EOL. A solution I came up with previously was the following.

Cisco 878 using G.SHDSL to link the two sites. It worked pretty well; the only issue we had was we didn't have the proper license to run more than two VLANs. I updated the IOS on-site and then back-billed the client.

You won't get 100Mb, but you're options for two wire copper at that distance are pretty low. I'm sure you won't need an 878 either, just a low end option that's available. I'm assuming any DSL card would work in a different chassis.

Hope this helps, rate if it does,

JB

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

I thought LRE was EOL. A solution I came up with previously was the following.

Cisco 878 using G.SHDSL to link the two sites. It worked pretty well; the only issue we had was we didn't have the proper license to run more than two VLANs. I updated the IOS on-site and then back-billed the client.

You won't get 100Mb, but you're options for two wire copper at that distance are pretty low. I'm sure you won't need an 878 either, just a low end option that's available. I'm assuming any DSL card would work in a different chassis.

Hope this helps, rate if it does,

JB

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gregory,

100 Mbps on two wires over 2500 feet distance is currently not possible I think.

As suggested by other posters an SHDSL solution can be enough

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Gregory,

a presentation of Broadband forum about current evolution of xDSL

http://www.broadband-forum.org/downloads/About_DSL.pdf

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Well I was able to find (with the help of the customer) the below solution;

http://ethernetextender.com/ethernet%20extenders/860.php

this is not exactly what he wanted but he wass hoping to find a gbic solution. Not sure that's possible.

Hello,

interesting solution declared performances are what you are looking for.

just use an RJ-45 FE on each side

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: