Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9216 - showing red status LED, not starting up

earthgazer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In a recent power loss (took out our R&D UPS in the process), an MDS 9216 we have in R&D failed.

On power up, it shows a red status LED, and does nothing. We've pulled and swapped PSUs (something we're told is a common fix for a common problem with these chassis), to no avail.

Strangely, we pulled the fan card (which had a green light), and put it back in to see it now also has a red status light.

We've swapped all cards around for new and spares (even the main cards) and they show up with red status lights in the chassis (can't test them in another chassis at present) so I assume this problem is with the chassis itself (ie the backplane or PSUs).

Any ideas, any similar experiences?

Many thanks,

6 Replies 6

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Might be the chassis, the power supplies, or that the boot variables some how got corrupted and the supervisor is stuck at the loader> prompt. Can you attach a console to the local console port (hyper term) and see if anything is logged to the console when the box is powered on? If nothing shows up on the console, then sounds like an RMA is needed. If you see the prompt stop at loader> post back and we can give you the commands to get the kickstart and main images to load.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hi,

It doesn't even get that far - so I don't suspect it's an issue with the line card.

Given the unit is a number of years old, I don't think it's under a support agreement - so other than an RMA, what is the likely solution? New PSUs, chassis?

Thanks.

It really could be either one...I would try a different PS, if one is available. The 9216 slot 1 linecard is not replaceable, it's part of the chassis. I believe a chassis RMA would not include a PS. The other thing to keep in mind, if you replace the chassis, any licenses would have to be re-homed to the new chassis s/n.

Good luck

Is this covered by warranty? I can't recall what it is for this unit...

I'm aware that the slot 1 card is "not replaceable", but reality is that the card is screwed in (rather than captive thumb screws) and the screw holes are just covered by the facia sticker. Seems silly that the least expensive parts of the system can't be replaced without replacing the slot 1 card as well...

I'll see if another PSU is available to try. Is there anything on the backplane or in the passive circuitry that could be the problem?

As far as warranty, it would be covered for 1 year or 90 days from purchase....not sure which, but since the 9216 is end of sale for a few years now, I doubt that is covered under warranty. If you have a maintenance contract covering that 9216 serial number, then it would be covered. The design on the 9216 is that the module 1 is not field replaceable. There is no Cisco part number for the slot1 line card. It is a hybrid of a 16 port FC module with a supervisor daughter card. It is basically considered part of the chassis. If you have your own spare 9216 and feel energetic you could replace the slot 1 line card....but from the official support perspective, it is not replaceable.

There are no other replaceable parts besides the chassis and PS that would cause this problem. (I assume you have removed any line card from slot2 to be sure it was not causing the problem).

Thanks,

Mike

I suspected as much warranty-wise.

Slot2 was already empty, so I can only assume that it's the PSU's, or something seriously wrong with the backplane.

In an energetic mood, I did pull and reseat both slot1 and the management card, without any luck whatsoever. The system just isn't even booting up - let alone providing enough power to the line cards to do anything other than showing the red LED.

I'll try and get a spare PSU from somewhere (it's got two PSU's, and looks like both are fragged), and try it out.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: