Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable bounce verification for certain INCOMING domains

aliebrahim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using an Ironport C150 with OS v6.4.0-273.

This Ironport handles mail for 2 domains, say domain1.com and domain2.com.

At the moment I have bounce verification on globally and have set the Ironport to reject bounces with invalid tags. domain1.com sends outgoing mail through my Ironport and thus always has valid tags. domain2.com sends outgoing email through another server and thus never has valid tags. domain2.com only receives mail through the Ironport.

Therefore if any user on domain2.com sends a message which bounces, they don't get the DSN as Ironport rejects it.

I would like to know if it is possible to set up the Ironport so that for incoming email to domain2.com it never does bounce verification but for domain1.com it always does it.

In the manual it says that it can be done via sender groups but then this means I need to define all the possible sender IP address of the outgoing MTAs for domain2.com. However, I just want it to accept any email for domain2.com from anybody without checking for a valid bounce tag.

Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Bart_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Instead of rejecting the bounces, you could configure bounce verification to insert a special header, something like "X-Valid-Bounce: False" and then create a content filter to take different actions depending on the recipient domain.

aliebrahim
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, that's what I'm doing for the moment as a workaround, but is there any way to have the Ironport reject the bounces for domain1.com outright and let the ones for domain2.com through?

This would reduce load on my mail server for domain1.com.

What about a second listener for domain2.com? You can disable bounce verificatin for all incoming mails on that listener.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: