cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PSTN calls always use g729

junp14
Level 1
Level 1

I know g729 is for VOIP calls to make good use of bandwidth and I know that PSTN (E1 or T1) should use g711 since they are un-compressed. But in my CM 4.1(3) setup, all my calls via PSTN (incoming and outgoing) use g729, even if my IP Phone and the H323 gateway are in the same Device Pool, hence using the same Region. Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

that's dial peer, region and phone capabilities config. make sure the DP is set to G711 and the region is G711. if no avail you'll need to look at a CUCM trace to see why it fails

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PSTN links are always PCM, the G729 can only go as far as your router. only if you use a SIP trunk you could have G729 end to end. the router should be changing the streams.

if you have not defined a codec or voice class codec under voip dial-peers G729 is the default codec.

HTH

java

HTH

java

java, thanks.

Sorry if I didn't made myself clear. My question actually is: Why PSTN calls always use g729? I have voice-class codec in my VOIP dial-peer and I have g711 as the preferred codec but still PSTN calls use g729. If I hard code g711 only in my VOIP dial-peer, calls drop. Any idea how I can make PST calls use g711? Thanks.

that's dial peer, region and phone capabilities config. make sure the DP is set to G711 and the region is G711. if no avail you'll need to look at a CUCM trace to see why it fails

HTH

java

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: