cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering a SUP1A/MSFC1 running Native IOS - Problem

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

I have used this recovery procedure once before a couple of years ago and it worked. I am not sure what I am doing wrong this time, but I am still in trouble.

I follow this link word to word and still have problem:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

The problem I am having is at the RP ROMMON prompt I type xmodem -s9600 -c and the xmodem transfer starts. About 2 or 3 minutes during the transfer the RP resets itself and goes into this reset loop again and again.

If I hit the BREAK key I go to SP ROMMON.

I tried again following the above document word to word and again I faced the same problem.

Then I said I won't type the xmodem command and I will just let it sit at RP ROMMON prompt and see what happens. Even then teh RP goes into this reset loop after about 2 or minutes after just sitting at RP ROMMON.

I am 100% sure that I have all teh BOOTLDR and the BOOT variables set correctly.

WHen I do a set command it shows teh right information as expected but it also shows more variables which I have not seen before such as PNCL1 and PNCL2, etc.

DO you think I have a hardware fault with my module. I have a WS-X6K-SUP1A-MSFC.

The SP boots the c6sup11 IOS image 24 MB PCMCIA card from slot0 in my case. I also have the RP's boot loader c6MSFC-boot image in slot0

10 Replies 10

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

In this procedure at the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

it says in step 3 to do this:

>set

PS1=rommon ! >

CONFIG_FILE=

?=0

BOOTLDR=bootflash:c6msfc-boot-mz.121-4.E1

SLOTCACHE=cards;

BOOT=sup-bootflash:c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-6.E,1;

I have a copy of my c6sup11 image and c6msfc-boot image both in PCMCIA slot0.

So when I do a set command at RPROMMON, I should have:

BOOT=sup-slot0:c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-6.E,1;

Am I right or wrong?

May be that was what I was doing wrong, I had

BOOT=slot0:c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-6.E,1;

I did not have sup-slot0. I just had slot0:

check at rommon the dir slot0:, see if there is image

rommon 2 >dir slot0:

if it is there image then try following command whereas image name is the one came in command dir slot):

boot bootflash:c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-6.E

Vish,

You mean do the dir slot0: at SP ROMMON or RP ROMMON

Also we notice dir slot0: command does not work at SP ROMMON

Previous reply should have said:

Also we notice dir slot0: command does not work at RP ROMMON

PS1=rommon ! >

CONFIG_FILE=

?=0

SLOTCACHE=cards;

BOOT=sup-bootflash:c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-6.E,1;

this is correct.

I have complied that big document into a page document(see attachment). See if can be useful

Vish,

In my case it should be as follows because I have the c6sup11-jsv-mz.121-6.E,1 image on the PCMCIA card - Am I right?

=============================================

PS1=rommon ! >

CONFIG_FILE=

?=0

SLOTCACHE=cards;

yes u r right it shd be slot0.

Vish,

PS1=rommon ! >

CONFIG_FILE=

?=0

SLOTCACHE=cards;

So the above should be correct - Right.

Also - will setting the boot variables incorrectly cause a booting loop as I explained in my first entry.

not faced the problem but as per document from cisco "switch can be in continuous booting loop if boot variables are not set correctly"

Did you changed something recently or this booting loop starts itself.

U tried cotacting cisco TAC.

Vish,

This is a new RMA from Cisco that I am preparing to instal at a customer site with minimum maintenance window this weekend. I am preparing this module for this weekend. Customer's module has an intermittent problem showing up once a few weeks. So I am preparing this new RMA'ed module to be put in customer's machine this weekend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card