cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP standard routing question

jgorman1977
Level 1
Level 1

Please look at the attached visio. My question is how does the router with network 10.0.0.0 know about 172.20.0.0 and 172.20.9.0 on the other side since i am only using 172.19.1.0 in EIGRP? the switch 172.19.1.8 knows how to get to those networks.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could you send a jpg as well as not all of us have access to visio. Are the configs included in the visio.

Jon

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hard to tell without seeing the whole routing table on the device with network 10.0.0.0 configured.

If the default route on this device is pointing to a router that knows how to get to 172.20.0.0 and 172.20.29.0, then that's your answer.

Attaching the diagram as JPEG for the benefit to those without Visio.

HTH,

__

Edison.

The MPLS router containing the 10.0.0.0 hangs off a 3750 core, where i have a default route pointing to the MPLS router in Canada.

And if the MPLS Router in Canada knows about those subnets, then that's how the IP reachability is made.

You can also find out what router is being used for connectivity with a traceroute from the source router to the destination subnet.

In addition, if you want a conclusive answer, you need to provide more information - like full routing table from devices in question.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to clarify. When you say knows about - do you mean can route to or do you mean has the subnets in the routing table.

Jon

I will add static routes on both MPLS routers. I was unsure if they needed to be added in the EIGRP AS, but since they don't lie within those subnets, I will add the statics.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card