Views
Helpful
Replies

2940 gigabit sfp port standby/disabled, need to get it working

mellestad
Level 1
Level 1

I get this on the fiber SFP port:

GigabitEthernet0/1 is standby mode, line protocol is down (disabled)

And I found some info that says I just need to reboot it with the SFP plugged in:

> As far as I remember, you should insert SFP and then reload switch.

> If you inserted SFP after boot - SFP port will be disabled, because

> onboard 100FX port will be selected as 'active uplink'

Is there any way to fix this without rebooting though? A reboot is not practical until the weekend, and I need to up before then. Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you try and shut then no shut the interface?

Yea, made no difference. Shutdown does not even shut it down, the status of the interface remains what I have above. Standby, and disabled. When I shutdown a port, it usually says administratively down.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is that a dual purpose port ? If so you would have to select the media type .

No, it is a Cisco 2940. It has a 100base fx port, but it is not dual purpose. The FX is FA0/9 and the SFP is GI0/1. I found a post that was saying when the switch booted it selects the fx-100 port to be the primary if nothing is in the SFP port, and the SFO port is set to standby and the only way to reactivate it is a reboot.

I am hoping there is another way.

I've got a WS-C2940-8TF-S and from what I can tell the only way to activate Gi0/1 is to reboot the switch with an SFP plugged in. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card