Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Moblity Group

abrdn4100
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have 180 controllers and various locations. I also have a controller here at head quarters in our DMZ. What I would like to know is can I have all the controllers in the field send traffic from one SSID through the DMZ controller and out to the internet. We have several SSID's and this one will be used for Public access.

thanks,

2 Replies 2

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

In theory yes. In practicality, that is a lot of traffic to tunnel to one controller. Also, how many mobility groups do you have? There are a limit to the number of controllers per mobility group you know.

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

When I implemented a much smaller version of what you are asking about, it was explained to me that the DMZ controller is supposed to only support the number of anchored controllers as it can support Access Points.

So a 4402-12 should only have 12 controllers anchored to it, 4402-25 has 25... and so on.

Now I do not know if this is an actual limitation or not, but I suppose it would make sense. I would suspect an anchored ssid probably is equivalent with memory/processing as an associated Access Point.

So aside from the obvious bandwidth limitation that you will need to take into consideration, I would probably say that if you have 180 controllers that you want to anchor to the DMZ, I would suggest having 2 100-acess point controllers in the DMZ.

Anyone else hear information like this before?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card