Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

automatic AP config

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to do an automatic configuration of a LAP?

Example: LAP is faulty we have a service partner come out with a new LAP, replace the broken one with the new one. Discovery via DNS joins a controller and downloads the same configuration the broken one had.

It would make life easier if there was such a function I'm using 4.2.130(WLC) and 4.2.97(WCS) and 1242LAP's?

5 Replies 5

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Thats how lwapp works man. It gets the config from the controller. If you mean manually assigned configs like channel and power that are not covereed by auto RF then no you cant. But auto RF replaces all SSIDs and autoconfigs the rf parameters for you.

So the AP gets the config from the controller but is there a way I can force it to download other config too like H-REAP SSID and VLAN id's?

On the WCS there are AP templates when we've had an AP outage and replaced the AP and a new one comes up on the network I have to manually assign the AP to an AP template wondering if there is anyway it can automatically assign itself to an AP template or if I can set it manually once

I haven't seen anything that automates. The AP coming up would not know anything about its desired config until you have applied the default controller config and then applied any templates.

Okay if no-one knows of anything there probably isn't anything, this could be a feature request to Cisco?

Anyone else thinks it's a good idea?

I understand your desire for further automation of the system but I doubt there would be an easy way to achieve this short of tying the role of an AP to a particular switch port. LWAPP APs are generic out of the box. There is no REAP/HREAP, MESH MAP, or MESH RAP version that you buy. These features are supported on almost all APs of LWAPP flavor. You assign roles based on needs and licensing. The only way to do this would be to assign a database entry to the maps entry of a given AP. When the new AP was assigned to the map then in theory it could be possible to drop a template based on that map.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card