cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where are the messages stored on Exchange 2003?

Where are the messages stored on Exchange 2003? In a folder or a single database file? Is it possible for the administrator to pull out 1 or 2 messages to listen to them? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Messages are stored in the users inboxes - no special folders or databases are used.

If an administrator has send as/receive as rights in Exchange they can pull any message they wish using an Outlook client for instance.

Thanks. So, the administrator would log in to outlook and how would he find the specific message he's looking for? I have to look for inappropriate voice mails. Is this the best way to do it?

not quite sure what you mean by how you find a message you're looking for... I'd imagine you'd use the option to open another user's inbox from Outlook, select the user you want to look at and view their inbox - this is how, say, personal assistants work when they need to monitor multiple inboxes. They're done as seperate views not all as one big list of messages.

Not sure if this is the best way to go about it but it's the only way I know of for looking at other inboxes if you have rights to do so - I'm sure there are 3rd party "monitoring" apps for Exchange out there - not really my thing.

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could also use OWA if you don't have access to an Outlook client (if this is vm only). Just go to http://exchangeservernameorip/exchange/username

Tray

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: