Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Disconnection Time

edward.weir
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Wireless Users,

I wanted to know if it is possible to disconnect all wireless users at a set time of the day. I know there's an Enable Session Timeout option where you can set the countdown to disconnection for a user; but I'm really concern about disconnecting all users at 4:00pm for example. I'm using WebAuth using ACS as my LDAP proxy.

Thanks in Advance

4 Replies 4

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

Are you asking to disconnect users at a specific time so that they have to force re-authenticate? Or are you like wanting to make a WLAN unavailable at a certain time?

That would actually be a great feature. I think some people might like having "scheduled" wlans, for instance a guest lan only being available from 8-5....

Anyhow, I know that I am no help, but I do not know of anyway to automatically force a disconnect.

And for the record, the session timeout option is a re-authentication counter and not a disconnect counter (Maybe I'm wrong?). As far as I know, computers are just forced to re-authenticate at the timeout (if using something like PSK then this is in the background and users really don't get disconnected). If using Web-Auth like you are using, then users would not have internet access without going through the web-auth page again.

Yes, I am looking into disconnecting users at a specific time so they have to be forcefully re-authenticate. You are also correct about the session timeout counter for users to re-authenticate for internet connectivity. I also agree that there is not a way to disconnect users from the wireless connection unless I kill the POE connections to my Wireless AP's using WCS.

Thanks

So I'm guessing there is definetly no way to do this through what Cisco provides, and this is a stretch but maybe it can be done through SNMP?

If I understand correctly, WCS just manages the controllers through SNMP? Maybe there is a way to send some kind of SNMP message to the controllers. I of course don't know how to do this, but in theory if you knew how to send these kind of requests, you could probably have some scheduled script that sends a request like this....

What do you think?

I have solved this issue with an expect script scheduled in crontab on a local linux machine on our lan. The script logs in to the controller and disables/enables the radio so that the radio is only active during office hours.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card