Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Disconnection Time

edward.weir
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Wireless Users,

I wanted to know if it is possible to disconnect all wireless users at a set time of the day. I know there's an Enable Session Timeout option where you can set the countdown to disconnection for a user; but I'm really concern about disconnecting all users at 4:00pm for example. I'm using WebAuth using ACS as my LDAP proxy.

Thanks in Advance

4 Replies 4

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

Are you asking to disconnect users at a specific time so that they have to force re-authenticate? Or are you like wanting to make a WLAN unavailable at a certain time?

That would actually be a great feature. I think some people might like having "scheduled" wlans, for instance a guest lan only being available from 8-5....

Anyhow, I know that I am no help, but I do not know of anyway to automatically force a disconnect.

And for the record, the session timeout option is a re-authentication counter and not a disconnect counter (Maybe I'm wrong?). As far as I know, computers are just forced to re-authenticate at the timeout (if using something like PSK then this is in the background and users really don't get disconnected). If using Web-Auth like you are using, then users would not have internet access without going through the web-auth page again.

Yes, I am looking into disconnecting users at a specific time so they have to be forcefully re-authenticate. You are also correct about the session timeout counter for users to re-authenticate for internet connectivity. I also agree that there is not a way to disconnect users from the wireless connection unless I kill the POE connections to my Wireless AP's using WCS.

Thanks

So I'm guessing there is definetly no way to do this through what Cisco provides, and this is a stretch but maybe it can be done through SNMP?

If I understand correctly, WCS just manages the controllers through SNMP? Maybe there is a way to send some kind of SNMP message to the controllers. I of course don't know how to do this, but in theory if you knew how to send these kind of requests, you could probably have some scheduled script that sends a request like this....

What do you think?

I have solved this issue with an expect script scheduled in crontab on a local linux machine on our lan. The script logs in to the controller and disables/enables the radio so that the radio is only active during office hours.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card