Last Problem.

Unanswered Question
Dec 11th, 2008
User Badges:

the final issue I am having with my router is I can't do a loop. I try to go to my external IP address to check if ports and such are open, but it doesn't do anything. Yet when I try it externally, it works fine. How can I get my computers inside the network to go my outside IP and loop back to test the open ports. In other words, I type in my domain name inside the cisco router, it just times out. I type it outside (another internet connection) and it works fine. Any Ideas? Attached is my config.

Attachment: 
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Fri, 12/12/2008 - 11:24
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Dale,

if you tested if from another internet connection and everything is dine is enough.

IP routing work on a destination basis and per hop (router hop ) basis: you cannot make the packets start from inside go outside and the come back inside.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

webmastadj Fri, 12/12/2008 - 15:09
User Badges:

Then how does the linksys router do it? For example: my outside IP on my WAN is 172.0.0.1 and my internal addressing scheme is 192.168.84.0. My server is on 192.168.84.3. If I open up port 80 on the router and it works from the outside, then why can't I type 172.0.0.1 from a client with the ip address 192.168.84.50 and get to the web server? This means, if I have a site, and try to go to it with mysite.com it won't go to it internally, but will work externally.

webmastadj Fri, 12/12/2008 - 15:10
User Badges:

That means, for the people that work at google, they can't access google.com?

Giuseppe Larosa Sat, 12/13/2008 - 11:58
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Clearly No, they can.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion