cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Last Problem.

webmastadj
Level 1
Level 1

the final issue I am having with my router is I can't do a loop. I try to go to my external IP address to check if ports and such are open, but it doesn't do anything. Yet when I try it externally, it works fine. How can I get my computers inside the network to go my outside IP and loop back to test the open ports. In other words, I type in my domain name inside the cisco router, it just times out. I type it outside (another internet connection) and it works fine. Any Ideas? Attached is my config.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dale,

if you tested if from another internet connection and everything is dine is enough.

IP routing work on a destination basis and per hop (router hop ) basis: you cannot make the packets start from inside go outside and the come back inside.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Then how does the linksys router do it? For example: my outside IP on my WAN is 172.0.0.1 and my internal addressing scheme is 192.168.84.0. My server is on 192.168.84.3. If I open up port 80 on the router and it works from the outside, then why can't I type 172.0.0.1 from a client with the ip address 192.168.84.50 and get to the web server? This means, if I have a site, and try to go to it with mysite.com it won't go to it internally, but will work externally.

That means, for the people that work at google, they can't access google.com?

Clearly No, they can.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco