cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA8.x Memory for url buffer too small

fredj1234
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA running ver8.0(3), recently opened a ticket with WebSense and noticed the following on my ASA:

url-block url-mempool 512

url-block url-size 4

url-block block 16

url-server (inside) vendor websense host 10.0.0.202 timeout 30 protocol TCP version 1 connections 5

These are the MAX buffer size configurable in my current version.

Recommend websense values

-------------------------

url-server (inside) vendor websense host 10.0.0.202 timeout 30 protocol TCP version 4 connections 8

url-block url-mempool 1500

url-block url-size 4

url-block block 128

url memory pool in 8.x is decreased by nearly two thirds and the url block size was decreased by roughly 8 times.

Is there any solution or fix for this issue on the ASA?

TIA

-Fred

3 Replies 3

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fred,

Is this ASA configured in Multiple Context Mode. I think you are running into the limitation on the number of URL Block in Multiple Context Mode. AFAIK, the max blocks that you can configure in Multiple Context Mode is 16. Even though, the parser might show you upto 128, it will come back with an error if you configure anything more than 16. Atleast, this is what I saw long time ago.

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*

Arul,

Yes, the ASA is multi contexexted.

Since ASA is multicontexted, is my only option then to take the url configuration off of the ASA and look at different solutions for implementation?

-Fred

Fred,

In the above case, I believe the URL Filtering options are very limited. I am not sure if there is any feature or enhancement request filed to increase the value from 16 to something that is configurable. And, not sure if there is a way to tweak this value, meaning some hidden command, etc. Sorry, wasn't of much help.

Regards,

Arul