Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 PPPoE DNS

franklaszlo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All !

I have set up an ASA5510 to access internet using a DSL line via PPPoE.

The PPPoE client connects, authenticates and almost everything is fine, except the DNS server. Normally, the ISP provides the DNS server for the PPPoE client to use, anthis can be pushed to clients via DHCP.

This is what I cannot do with ASA. I can't find any command either in CLI or ASDM to tell ASA to request the DNS server address, and publish it to its clients via DHCP.

Is this functionality present in ASA at all ?

Thanks,

Laszlo

2 Replies 2

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

ASA supports operating as both Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) servers and DHCP clients. DHCP supplies automatic configuration parameters such as an IP address with a subnet mask, default gateway, DNS server, and WINS server IP address to hosts.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806c1cd5.shtml

Thanks, I konow ASA supports DHCP operations, my question was concernig explicitly the interoperation between DHCP server and PPPoE client.

However, in the meantime I figured it out, it is the "dhcpd auto_config interface" command what does the trick :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: