switchport trunk native vlan 4

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 70

spanning-tree portfast

Am I correct in stating that the following is not needed:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 4

switchport mode trunk

Why would the previous three lines even exist in the port configuration?

3 Replies 3

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

looks like the port is connected to a phone with a PC Daisy-chaining to the phone. the port is trunk because yuo have a data and voice vlan associating with the port. if that is the case then you need the trunking on the port.

If the port is connected to a single PC, then no need for the trunking. If the port is connected to another switch and carrying more than one vlan then you need the trunking.

Francisco.

That makes sense. I do have phone on the the port and the PC connected off that. The data VLAN is 4 and the voice is 70. So I can see where it needs to be trunked so both VLAN tagged traffic can come down the pipe.

Thanks.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends. If you have a device that has a default native vlan of 4 and you change it on this port back to 1, then you'll get vlan mismatch errors. The actual line that you don't need is switchport access vlan 31. You have the port in trunked mode right now, and the only way the other one will take effect is if you have "switchport mode access."

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card