cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

end host discover only MAC Add.

eliaspaulos
Level 1
Level 1

I have one a Csisco WS-3750G with 5 blade. any end host attached to this switch. LMS 2.6 end host discovery detect only the MAC address. no Ip address or Host name. anyone know why is that. thank you in Advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SNMP community strings cannot contain '@', SNMPv3 VLAN contexts must be configured on switches (if using SNMPv3), and SNMP timeouts must be reasonable (e.g. 6 second timeout with 1 retry) in datacollectionsnmp.conf.

The server also needs to have the hardware to support this size network.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IP addresses are found by polling the ARP tables of routers on the same VLAN as the end host MACs. If those routers are not data collected properly, then no IP address information will show up. Once IPs are acquired, then they will be looked up (i.e. in DNS) to get the hostnames.

thanks, so do I need a data collection on on the switch again then UT End Host Report? can I able to do UT acquisition on one switch? or should I run on all switch on LMS.because if I run on all it takes more than 24hrs, since we have 50,000 end devices.any short cut?

Once the router is data collected, just run a new UT major acquisition. An acquisition which takes over 24 hours is not right. It sounds like you have SNMP problems, or name resolution issues (if this is Windows).

Thank you so much J. I did start major acquisition. LMS run on Solaris 8 not windows.SNMP problem on my server side or on device.I have checked UT.log I didn't see any abnormal log. this is like this for long time and I always thought because of we have too many end devices and may be use stand alone CW server. where should I can look for check for the problem?

SNMP community strings cannot contain '@', SNMPv3 VLAN contexts must be configured on switches (if using SNMPv3), and SNMP timeouts must be reasonable (e.g. 6 second timeout with 1 retry) in datacollectionsnmp.conf.

The server also needs to have the hardware to support this size network.

Hi Joe

I would like to ask you what your insight is around (LMS 3.1) User Tracking in a MPLS vpn environment. From what I understand, Campus Manager can collect data from the router and switches, but a end host could possibly stay in its layer 2 environment and never make a request to the router (Layer3). How would one get this end host's IP address? Thanks in advance.

Please start a new thread for this question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: