Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Campus Manager Topology views to display link status

rdold
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am running LMS 2.6, Campus Manager 4.0.11 on Solaris.

My question involves monitoring the status of non-IP links between Cisco switches using the Campus Manager > Topology Services views.

In the past, I have used the Campus Manager > Topology Services > Network View > Layer 2 View map to show me the status of any non-IP layer links that may be down between switches.

Recently I discovered that on this Layer 2 view, not all links between switches or routers are being displayed.

For example, we have numerous 6500's with multiple redundant links between them, but not all links are displayed--usually only one line will be drawn between switches.

If I look at other views in Topology Services, such as Topology Services > Topology Groups

> Campus > All Devices, then all the multiple links between neighbors seem to be there.

What gives?

Shouldn't all these views show the same detail?

Can I trust these views to show me correct link status?

We do receive link down traps on another NMS, but Cisco link-state traps are not persistent.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the links have CDP neighbors, and they are logically independent, then they should show under the Layer 2 view. You might try relaying out the view to see if the links are otherwise masked.

Hi Joe,

Yes, all the links have CDP neighbors, and they are all physically independent.

I am not sure what you mean by "logically independent". Some of these links are trunks, yet others are not.

My issue with relaying out the map is that it takes time to pull it apart into a useable view again.

Logically independent means they are not part of an etherchannel. You could also view port attributes for a switch to see if it is showing multiple Link ports. A Campus Link port is one that shows up on the Topology map.

These links are not part of etherchannel.

When I check the port attributes, the links are there and defined as links.

For example, between two neighbor 6509's, there are two active gig links, each are trunks, and both listed in port attributes.

However, on the Layer 2 view, only one line is drawn, and the cursor over the line only defines one of those links.

I suspect a relayout will resolve this, but I understand your reluctance.

OK, I will try a relayout when I get more time, as I need to rush to a meeting.

Thanks for your help, and thanks for participating in this forum.

I have benefited greatly from many of your past conversations.

before doing the relayout, generate a new user, login into LMS open the maps with wich you usually work and save them as they are. Then, on the server go to NMSROOT\campus\etc\users. There you have a directory for each of your LMS users which have saved a map yet. Copy the files from your regular user to the newly generated user. The Map layout is stored in these XML files. With this method you have a kind of backup for your layout.

To check for overlayed links change the layout to circular or orthogonal.

Had exactly the same issue. Relayout indeed helped! Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: