cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thumb drives

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you use any brand thumb drives in say the 3800 series routers or do they have to be cisco branded drives ?

update: appears you can only use cisco branded drives at about $300 for a 256 meg . Guess it wouldn't make sense to be able to buy a 4 gig drive for like $20 and be able to use it .

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had success with some brand X in 2800s, haven't tried them in the 3800 series. I think I discovered they might need to be 256 MB or smaller (which are a bit hard to find for new ones) and formatted on the router (or on a PC but not in FAT32).

PS:

Think this question was raised before. So you might also search the forum.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Glen,

I have been able to successfully use a flash drive (non Cisco) on the 800 and 2800 series routers. I believe it had to be formatted by the router... Also I am thinking that there are size limitations to the USB drive like the CF cards on routers and switches.

P.S. If I remember correctly you may need a rommon upgrade to support booting from USB.

HTH,

Mark

Thanks for the info ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: