cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Ping VLAN

amjbmr808
Level 1
Level 1

I have a core stack made up of 2 12Port Fiber Cisco Switches that are -E a 24-Port 3750-E and a 48 Port 3750.

The 24-port 3750 is my Master. I have setup all of my VLAN's and VTP on it. I have a VLAN1 that is 10.38.8.1/21 and a VLAN16 that is 10.38.16.1/21 when I had a port to VLAN16 I can't ping that device nor can i ping 10.38.16.1 from anywhere but the fiber switch. What could I have left off?

10 Replies 10

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

For inter vlan communication you have to configure routing on ur switch if it is layer 3 or connect to a router.

Ok thanks. I have a new question. I have another exact setup just like this on another network. How can I tell what routing protocol the core stack is using so i can make this one the same?

Do you have atleast one trunk port connecting these 2 switches ?

Try pinging from the device to 16.1 ip address.

Hope you have gw configured on your PC connected to vlan 16.

I am a little confused. I need a trunk port on the switches even though they are a stack and the clients are both on this stack?

infosankar
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure that VLAN16 is Up or not. By that you can find the root cause of this issue.

Yes, VLAN16 is up.

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Andy, here are a few aspects with which to check:-

1. Have you configured the command 'ip routing' from global? This is required for inter-vlan routing.

2. The particular Switchport has the commands 'switchport mode access' and 'switchport access vlan 16'.

3. Have you added the VLAN to the respective trunk ports between the Core Stack and either of the 3750s? Or was the link simply an access port as you were only using the default VLAN? If this is the case then you would need to configure a trunk between these devices.

4. Ensure that you do not have a personal firewall enabled on the the device, which could be blocking icmp.

4. The device has the DG of 10.38.16.1 and a valid IP address/Mask.

Hope this helps.

Allan.

I appreciate the detailed and quick response. I have checked all that you listed. The only question i have is on #3. The 3750 is part of my core stack so do i actually need trunk ports? I don't now since it is part of the stack.

Thanks.

is it possible for you to post sh run

Since this is part of the stack no need for trunking, issue intervlan routing (ip route or ip default gateway commands).

Please correct me if I am wrong. :-)

Cheers!

Gagamboy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card