Enabling MPLS on non Cisco routers

Unanswered Question
Dec 13th, 2008

Hi all,

Am studying for the ISCW exam and am confused on MPLS. Can MPLS be run on non Cisco routers?

Reason why I ask is because CEF must be enabled on the router before you can run MPLS, however CEF is Cisco propriatary. Then this leads me onto my next question. If you do have Cisco routers across your MPLS network, then why not run the TDP label protocol (or shall I say tag protocol)? Why go for the LDP industry standard when you are on Cisco routers anyway?

I know this is an obvious answer and doubt this particular question will show up on my exam (I hope!) but could someone please put my curiousity to rest.

Thanks in advance

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
viyuan700 Sat, 12/13/2008 - 06:44

Can MPLS be run on non Cisco routers?

Yes if CEF is cisco propriatary then others will have their own method to configure MPLS on their router.

"If you do have Cisco routers across your MPLS network, then why not run the TDP label protocol (or shall I say tag protocol)? Why go for the LDP industry standard when you are on Cisco routers anyway?"

Read in few cisco documents they themselves are not providing TDP on newer releases of IOS. Maybe because if they have TDP that company can only have cisco but if cisco router have LDP that company can have cisco and others.

Even in case of trunks encapsulation they are removing ISL which is ONLY used by cisco they are using standard 802.1Q.

Actions

This Discussion