cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Catalyst 2948G Switch.

Ireneakue
Level 1
Level 1

I have a serious problem loading a new IOS image into this Catalyst 2948G Switch.

I have spent a bloody 15 hours, searching the web on how to transfer a cisco IOS from my computer into the switch FROM ROMMON MODE, the commands "tftpdnld" and "xmodem" in rommon mode DO. NOT. EXIST.

after hours of going running around i found that the switch had something else in its bootflash by default, another IOS called the "catOS" which looked like this "cat4000.5-5-21.bin"

now this is a system i did not study, so operating the new commands was just hell.

I tried removing this "catOS" by preforming a "clear boot" and "clear config all" in rom mode then resetting the router, but it came back, is there a way to permanently remove this catOS?

I have a Tftp Server and IOS image ready, what i just want to know is a step by step process on transferring the

IOS from my computer to the switch so i can go and sleep.

3 Replies 3

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

See this link there is recovery procedure for ur switch"Recover the Catalyst 4500/4000, Catalyst 2948G, Catalyst 2980G, and Catalyst 4912G ". Given instruction to set up TFTP

and setting boot parameters fornext boot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#cat4k

Hope this will help you to get a nice sleep

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You cannot put IOS on that box , it is a catos box only so you have to run catos to make it work. If you want a newer version of catos you can do that but switching to IOS is not an option. To clear a image out , it is just "delete bootflash: , then do a squeeze bootflash: , command . If you want to just use the existing catos image then it sounds like you need to add a boot statement , use the command " set boot system flash bootflash:cat4000.5-5-21.bin prepend " . then reload box and should load the existing image.Do not try to put IOS on though you will make it inoperable . If you have questions on catos just post them and we can at least help with the basics. Here is the config guide for catos , http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/7.3/configuration/guide/configure.html

Ireneakue
Level 1
Level 1

glen.gran .... YOU. HAVE.. GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! so thats what "Catalyst" stood for!~?!? then which switches support IOS then?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card