cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Catalyst 2948G Switch.

Ireneakue
Level 1
Level 1

I have a serious problem loading a new IOS image into this Catalyst 2948G Switch.

I have spent a bloody 15 hours, searching the web on how to transfer a cisco IOS from my computer into the switch FROM ROMMON MODE, the commands "tftpdnld" and "xmodem" in rommon mode DO. NOT. EXIST.

after hours of going running around i found that the switch had something else in its bootflash by default, another IOS called the "catOS" which looked like this "cat4000.5-5-21.bin"

now this is a system i did not study, so operating the new commands was just hell.

I tried removing this "catOS" by preforming a "clear boot" and "clear config all" in rom mode then resetting the router, but it came back, is there a way to permanently remove this catOS?

I have a Tftp Server and IOS image ready, what i just want to know is a step by step process on transferring the

IOS from my computer to the switch so i can go and sleep.

3 Replies 3

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

See this link there is recovery procedure for ur switch"Recover the Catalyst 4500/4000, Catalyst 2948G, Catalyst 2980G, and Catalyst 4912G ". Given instruction to set up TFTP

and setting boot parameters fornext boot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#cat4k

Hope this will help you to get a nice sleep

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You cannot put IOS on that box , it is a catos box only so you have to run catos to make it work. If you want a newer version of catos you can do that but switching to IOS is not an option. To clear a image out , it is just "delete bootflash: , then do a squeeze bootflash: , command . If you want to just use the existing catos image then it sounds like you need to add a boot statement , use the command " set boot system flash bootflash:cat4000.5-5-21.bin prepend " . then reload box and should load the existing image.Do not try to put IOS on though you will make it inoperable . If you have questions on catos just post them and we can at least help with the basics. Here is the config guide for catos , http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4000/7.3/configuration/guide/configure.html

Ireneakue
Level 1
Level 1

glen.gran .... YOU. HAVE.. GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! so thats what "Catalyst" stood for!~?!? then which switches support IOS then?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card