cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need "port Link status" to log to buffer- Cat IOS 12.2-20

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

What am I missing. I don't see my cat4006 ports going up/down in any of my logs as pc's are connected, or powered off.

Want to see the fastE ports connecting/disconnecting so I can verify and locate PC quickly that don't have correct IP's, etc.

I have logging set to debugging, etc.

thanks

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure you have the command , "logging event link-status default " implemented .

command not present in Cat IOS 12.2(20)

Sorry that is a 6500 , of course they wouldn't be the same . :-) try adding snmp-server enable traps command.

Nope, all snmp traps are enabled. I get vty messages logged.

--------

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 0 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns)

Console logging: level debugging, 15 messages logged

Monitor logging: level debugging, 3 messages logged

Buffer logging: level debugging, 40 messages logged

Exception Logging: size (8192 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

Trap logging: level debugging, 45 message lines logged

Logging to 192.168.99.15, 45 message lines logged

"logging event link-status default"

This command is available for 4000/4500 but you need release 12.25(SG) minimum to run it -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/25sg/command/reference/int_sess.html#wp2089249

Jon

good to know, but stuck with 12.2-20 for now.

I can't believe that the port up/down status don't "log" into the system by default. Hell, a 2900 series does this by default. as do any of the CatOS rev's. Most times I need to turn if off, not on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: