cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

netboot speed issue

ippolito
Level 1
Level 1

We have a speed issue with Apple netboot clients over a vpn connection. The netboot client is at a remote site connected to an ASA 5505. The 5505 directs all traffic to an ASA 5520 at our main office.

We have seen a strange speed issue where if the ASA5520's outside interface is left at 1 Gbps, the through put on the netboot client drops to around 0.1 Mbps. If I drop the speed back to 100 Mbps on the 5520's outside interface, the throughput of the netboot client jumps to 6 or 7 Mbps.

We've tried numerous tests keeping all other variables the same -- same switchport, same switch config, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

pcomeaux
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi -

What does the 5520 plug into on it's outside interface?

What do the interface statistics look like when it is set to 1 gbps vs 100 mbps?

thxs

peter

ullasupendran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I feel this is a duplex miss match between the ASA and the switch on which it is connected. Make sure that the switch and ASA sets AUTO->AUTO or 100->100 or 1000->1000 same on both sides.

Hope that helps

Ullas

Negative on the duplex mismatch; that was the first thing I suspected also. After doing extensive testing we determined that this is a problem specific to Appletalk Filing Protocol on OSX v10.5.x; the problem disappeared on v10.4.x.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card