cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software support for NPE-G2 processors

netservices
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to install a new NPE-G2 processor card into an existing 7204VXR chassis to replace our current NPE-400.

While researching a suitable IOS release, the software advisor has highlighted that even though the NPE-G2 ships with 1GB of RAM, there is not enough to support any of the available software releases.

My question is why does the software advisor report that the default NPE-G2 configuration of 1GB of SDRAM is not enough to support ANY software release available for this processor?

Does this mean that the processor ships with an amount of SDRAM that does not support any available software release.

I'm currently very confused, please help!!

Thanks

Steven

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steven

I am a bit confused too :-). Which IOS version and feature set are you trying to load ?

For example - 12.4(15)T8 Advanced Enterprise Services needs 1024Mb DRAM which your NPE-G2 has ?

Note i picked that IOS version at random, just as an example.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I'm looking at 12.4(4)XD11 which has a minimum DRAM requirment of 1024MB but flag number 6 indicates that the NPE-G2 does not have enough memory to support this release.

Is this because some of the 1024MB available on the card is reserved for other processes?

Steven

Steven

Deleted.

Jon

Steven

How are you looking up the IOS in software advisor. It just occured to me you may be using a different way than me and that is why i am getting a different result ?

Jon

Jon,

I used the 'find software compatible with my hardware' option which takes a 'show version' and 'show diag' to establish the hardware configuration.

Once I have confirmed the configuration, it takes you to the page that displays the recommended software and both of the recommended releases have exclamation marks which according to flag 6 is an indication of not enough DRAM to run the images :o(

Steven

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco