Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator

dvanzee
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

We have a number of users at home using IP Communicator vpned into our network (Juniper client software). We continue to struggle with QOS issues (JITTER).

All users are using G729.

One of my users upgraded his bandwidth to 5mb down and 1 mb up (DSL). And he still has issues with his calls.

Looked over this document already.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cipc/1_1/english/administration/guide/CADoip.html

Can anyone tell me what we can do to get a more permanent solution in place? Or ideas on what we can do to improve our current situation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You probably want to take a look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cipc/1_1/english/administration/guide/CADcfg.html#wpxref83694

You can see that the Juniper VPN client isn't supported. This may or may not be a cause of the problem, but something you should be aware of.

If you have a router with QoS capabilities between the phone and the DSL connection, I would suggest shaping to 1 mb and putting the voice traffic in a priority queue. Getting something like an 871 to put there can give you more power on what type of traffic will get dropped/prioritized, but you can't guarantee anything over an internet link.

I would try running as few applications on the PC as possible and repeat the test. Turn off all web browsers, email, etc.

In short-

Try the Cisco VPN if possible

Get a QoS capable router to prioritize the traffic, mark everything properly.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

All calls, PSTN calls, extension to extension?

Only one particular user?

All users?

same provider?

same VPN sw?

an sniffer capture can tell us more about the call quality and where the delay may be/

You probably want to take a look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cipc/1_1/english/administration/guide/CADcfg.html#wpxref83694

You can see that the Juniper VPN client isn't supported. This may or may not be a cause of the problem, but something you should be aware of.

If you have a router with QoS capabilities between the phone and the DSL connection, I would suggest shaping to 1 mb and putting the voice traffic in a priority queue. Getting something like an 871 to put there can give you more power on what type of traffic will get dropped/prioritized, but you can't guarantee anything over an internet link.

I would try running as few applications on the PC as possible and repeat the test. Turn off all web browsers, email, etc.

In short-

Try the Cisco VPN if possible

Get a QoS capable router to prioritize the traffic, mark everything properly.

Thank you so much!

I think the QOS capable router is probably the best way to handle this.

Quick ? as I have 95 telecommuters with various audio problems. do you feel the router enhanced the quality on calls? where you having issues without???

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: