cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP in different locations

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

Is it possible to have two routers in HSRP when they are in different geographical locations? I have little experience with HSRP.

Thanks,

Brent

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brent

HSRP relies on L2 adjacency ie. the 2 devices must be connected with a layer 2 link. So in answer to your question, yes you can run HSRP between 2 locations as long as the 2 locations are connected with a L2 link and the same vlan is in both locations.

Whether or not you would want to is another matter ! What exactly is it you are trying to achieve ?

Jon

Hey Jon, thanks for the quick reply.

I have one site here where I am .. and the DR site is in a city to the south of us. We have a DS3 link between us and them. Our branch offices need to be able to hit the DR site in case our head office falls off the map.

Okay, setting up a DR site can be quite a complex scenario and we would need to understand your topology/routing protocols/IP addressing etc. to suggest a solution.

HSRP will not work across a L3 routed link only a switched L2 link.

Jon

Hey Jon,

Thanks, I know I'm not giving you much in the way of info .. sorry about that.. but I do believe you've answered my question. The routers wouldn't be on the same L2 segment so I don't think this would work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card