cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multihomed

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! if i'm connecting one of my server with 2 nic (1 private net, 1 corporate net). do i need to configure anything to make sure that the server is able to go internet? for those clients within the private network, how do i enable them to go to the internet? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

the server has to be configured with static routes to used the correct NIC to go to internet.

A route print can tell how the server is going to use its NICs.

Devices with private ip addresses as per RFC1918 needs to be handled by NAT = Network Address Translation to be able to access internet.

For example this PC has an ip address 10.x.y.z but when connecting to www.cisco.com it is translated to a public ip address so that packets can be routed in both directions

see

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/ac174/ac182/about_cisco_ipj_archive_article09186a00800c83ec.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi! that's means in the server connected to the corporate network, i need to use the "route add" command in dos prompt?

in this case, how do i configure nat in the server?

Thanks.

Hello David,

I was meaning NAT on network devices.

and yes if the servers have multiple NICs they require the correct route that are inserted with route add in the shell

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card