cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME Failover configuration

ashish.sehgal
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 CMEs located locally. Want to configure Failover between them.

Will simple HSRP configuration be enough or I need to configure telephony services also to enable failover?

Thnx.

Ashish

3 Replies 3

Thanks for the link, but my scenario is more simple. In my scenario both the CMEs are locally located in the same LAN itself. And I am configuring HSRP for CME redundancy, wanna know if need to configure CME fallback in the telephony services also.

This is an interesting scenario.

It's hard to say for sure without doing some testing.

The first obstacle is making sure the configuration stays the same on both routers. Shouldn't be too bad, but there isn't a way to automate this easily.

You won't be able to gracefully fail this over, either. The other IP address will not be aware of the phone states, and this will cause the CME to receive messages from phones that it is not expecting. The CME will have problems with that.

The part I'm unsure about is if the CME receives messages from phones that in a different state than it expects, if it will make the phone re-register. If not, I don't think the phones will actually re-register.

If CME does detect this bad state, it may tell the phones to reset/re-register, but if not I don't think this would be a working system.

Some other possible solutions:

-Use different addresses, manually set the TFTP servers on the phones

-Use different addresses, and use something like 'ip source-address x secondary y' , 'ip source-address y secondary x' in telephony service. (CME 4.2 and later I believe).

-Manually change the TFTP files the phones download to include the address of the other CME

-Put in a feature request with your sales team to have redundant IP address support for CME

This may work, but I don't think it has ever been tested. Thus, it probably wouldn't be supported in the HSRP environment you're thinking of.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: