cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dns issue during vpn

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. When i connect to my other office via vpn frm my main office i find that i have problem accessing my main office resources. I have a server server.abc.com which is located in my main office lan. But when i ping this server using host name server.abc.com while still connected to my other office via vpn i could not resolve the host to ip. After i disconnect the vpn, access to that particular host is not a problem. Is it something to do with my split dns setting in my vpn policy? I have already completed split tunneling and there is no issue with my split tunneling. How can i solve this.

1 Reply 1

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

To resolve this issue, perform these steps:

1. Make sure the VPN server (PIX Firewall, Cisco VPN Concentrator or a router) successfully assigns a DNS server IP address to the Cisco VPN Client. To check, issue the ipconfig/all command on your PC after you are connected with the VPN Client.

2. If you do not see the correct IP address for your DNS field, check the configuration on the VPN server to make sure it was configured properly. This pushes the DNS server's IP address to the VPN Client's IP address.

3. To assign the DNS server's IP address for the VPN Client's, issue these commands:

vpngroup test dns-server x.x.x.x

4 If the VPN Client receives the correct DNS IP address from the VPN server, but name resolution still does not work, check to make sure the Network Basic Input and Output System (NetBIOS) over Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and IP option is checked under Advanced TCP/IP properties > WINS on the PC that runs the VPN Client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card