Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS on 4507R

ROBERT ISAACS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to upgrade a 4507R in response to a VoIP Network Readiness Assessment we had done. I am including in this two files that show the result of a show module and another that show the result of a show version.

The assessment said that I should upgrade this switch to cat400-i9k91s-mz.122-25.EWA10.bin. I have downloaded that file from the Cisco web site. I need to get this right the first time because this switch is our main office core switch and I will be doing it in the middle of the night this weekend and I would love to not have problems if at all possible. Here are the steps I am planning on doing. You guys have much more experience than I do so please share with me any assistance you can give.

1) copy the new bin file to my tftp directory.

2) bring up my tftp server on my pc.

3) telnet into the switch.

4) copy tftp: bootflash: the aforementioned file.

5) copy tftp: slavebootflash: the aforementioned file.

6)config term

7) config-register 0x2

8) boot system flash bootflash:(filename above)

9)Wait on it to reboot

10)telnet back into the switch

11)config term

12)redundancy

13) main-cpu

14) auto-sync standard

15) end

16)write mem

17)redundancy reload peer

At this point I have questions. Should I run a redundancy force-switchover command to test? If so I can force it back with another command, right? My next questions is regarding the old bin file. Do I need to do a delete bootflash:filename on that file?

Pardon the ignorance on this matter. This is my first IOS switch upgrade and I merely want to do it right. I have no one else to bounce this off so that is why I am asking the NetPro community for help.

Thanks,

RI

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello ,

actually starting from a system with supervisor redundancy you don't need to reload the switch

see

The software upgrade procedure supported by supervisor engine redundancy allows you to upgrade the Cisco IOS software image on the supervisor engines without reloading the system.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/20ew/configuration/guide/RPR.html#wp1104060

see the suggested procedure

section

Performing a Software Upgrade

one point of attention:

do sh run | inc boot

if there is already a boot system command you need to remove it or the new boot system command will be written after that line and the old code will be loaded.

so I would do

no boot system flash old

boot system flash new

boot system flash old

wr mem

If the new boot system command appears first you can also leave the old IOS in flash to be ready if there is any problem with the new image

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello ,

actually starting from a system with supervisor redundancy you don't need to reload the switch

see

The software upgrade procedure supported by supervisor engine redundancy allows you to upgrade the Cisco IOS software image on the supervisor engines without reloading the system.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/20ew/configuration/guide/RPR.html#wp1104060

see the suggested procedure

section

Performing a Software Upgrade

one point of attention:

do sh run | inc boot

if there is already a boot system command you need to remove it or the new boot system command will be written after that line and the old code will be loaded.

so I would do

no boot system flash old

boot system flash new

boot system flash old

wr mem

If the new boot system command appears first you can also leave the old IOS in flash to be ready if there is any problem with the new image

Hope to help

Giuseppe

situwayne
Level 1
Level 1

1. I don't recommend using tftp. you should consider ftp for any IOS larger than 16MB.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/100/fn13026.html

2. do an integrity check of the IOS before you reload it. when you download this IOS there is a CRC associated with it.

verify /md5 bootflash:filename

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t4/feature/guide/ft_md5v.html

3. make sure your boot statements are in the correct order. new boot statements are added in sequential order toward the bottom.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco