cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASAs with the same MAC addr

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm running into a problem with a pair of ASAs using the same MAC addr. This confuses the heck out of a third-party network management tool that apparently uses MAC addr as a unique device ID, so it keeps thinking one is the other. The two ASAs are not in any kind of failover setup, so that's one less reason they should have the same MAC addr. I vaguely recall hearing about Cisco re-using MAC addrs on devices. It doesn't matter why or how. I'm just interested in how to identify where this MAC addr is set on the ASAs and how to get it changed on one ASA (if possible) without interrupting service.

1 Reply 1

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ASAs have multiple contexts. I don't see any "mac address" in "system" or the admin context configs. I don't see any overlap in "show interface" or the "MAC Address Ranges" of "show module".

Can I use "mac address phy_if [active_mac] [standby_mac]" mentioned in the link below to change the MAC addr once it's located?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/command/reference/m_72.html#wp1780052

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card