Views
Helpful
Replies

Disabling Spanning-Tree of a port by port basis

tobin_jim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Is it possible to completely disable spanning-tree on a trunk port. I have a situation were a Sun server will be connected to a trunk port and will be tagging packets with various vlan ids. I have been told that the port must have spanning-tree disabled (yes I know its madness).

I had previously thought that it was only possible to turn vlan off on a vlan by vlan basis on a switch.

Is it possible to turn spanning-tree off on an individual port basis.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jim

You can effectively turn off STP for a port by using the "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" command under the interface -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/command/reference/lsw_s2.html#wp1014574

Do you know why you have to disable it. If it is an issue with the NIC taking 45 seconds to begin forwarding you could look to use "spanning-tree portfast trunk" which allows the trunk port to begin forwarding immmediately but still runs STP - it's like normal portfast but for trunk links. It should never really be used on switch to switch links but it is fine for servers with trunk links.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jim

You can effectively turn off STP for a port by using the "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" command under the interface -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/command/reference/lsw_s2.html#wp1014574

Do you know why you have to disable it. If it is an issue with the NIC taking 45 seconds to begin forwarding you could look to use "spanning-tree portfast trunk" which allows the trunk port to begin forwarding immmediately but still runs STP - it's like normal portfast but for trunk links. It should never really be used on switch to switch links but it is fine for servers with trunk links.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the information. I actually already have the ports on "spanning-tree portfast trunk" but I've been told that the manufacturer guideline is for spanning-tree to be completely disabled.

I think for this case though that the portfast trunk command will be sufficient.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco