cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS 11500

mduhra
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a deployment going at a client and am using a Netscaler to provide VIPs for their external Citrix access. Although I can enable VIPs for internal Citrix services without issues, we're fleshing out some options as to how we can load balance the internal resources without having the VIPs being in the DMZ, and therefore, reliant upon the firewall being up for proper operation.

The client is currently providing Load Balancing via an Alcatel switch/load balancer, but I'm not sure this will give us all the functionality we're looking to get. Here's what the criteria would be in an ideal world and want to know if the Cisco Content Switch can provide that to us.

1. Ability to Load Balance Citrix XML Service (TCP/8080 traffic. XML based)

2. Ability to Load Balance Citrix STA Service (TCP/8080 traffic)

3. Ease of setup for Web Servers (currently, need to setup a Loopback adapter for each IP address we want Load Balanced. We're hoping the Cisco setup doesn't require any additional configuration on the Web Servers than a regular web server to setup a VIP)

4. SNMP/SMTP Alerting in event of a node's service being unavailable.

5. Advanced probing/monitoring of the Citrix XML or STA Services (this is probably stretching on the STA service)

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would recommend the new loadbalancer C4710.

All you need is supported on this new device.

The CSS11500 would also provide everything (except smtp alert).

The advantage of the c4710 is that it comes with a mini-firewall and will allow you to easily connect internal users without the need to go through the firewall and still maintain a high level of security.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: