I've got a deployment going at a client and am using a Netscaler to provide VIPs for their external Citrix access. Although I can enable VIPs for internal Citrix services without issues, we're fleshing out some options as to how we can load balance the internal resources without having the VIPs being in the DMZ, and therefore, reliant upon the firewall being up for proper operation.
The client is currently providing Load Balancing via an Alcatel switch/load balancer, but I'm not sure this will give us all the functionality we're looking to get. Here's what the criteria would be in an ideal world and want to know if the Cisco Content Switch can provide that to us.
1. Ability to Load Balance Citrix XML Service (TCP/8080 traffic. XML based)
2. Ability to Load Balance Citrix STA Service (TCP/8080 traffic)
3. Ease of setup for Web Servers (currently, need to setup a Loopback adapter for each IP address we want Load Balanced. We're hoping the Cisco setup doesn't require any additional configuration on the Web Servers than a regular web server to setup a VIP)
4. SNMP/SMTP Alerting in event of a node's service being unavailable.
5. Advanced probing/monitoring of the Citrix XML or STA Services (this is probably stretching on the STA service)