CVP 4.0.1 SR1
It's an already up and running system I built 2 months back. Debug voip & voice application vxml all for working Studio script is attached as 'working.txt'
CASE 1 Issue
I made a New Studio script today with the name Damac_test and simply put a '5_option_menu' in it and a Audio Item under that '5_option_menu'. Deployed it and Sceduled the ICM Script with a new Dialed Number.
Calling that new dialed number gave me the CVP Male Voice error - we are facing tech issues...
In the 'debugs voip app vxml all' it shows that it is reaching/or atleast trying to reach the file as I did a seach on wav in the debugs. Attached as 'not_working - CASE 1.txt'
CASE 2 Issue
I changed the Studio Script to simply play an 'Audio' element with a wav file ALREADY working in another Studio script. Now when I call I do not get no error and I simply hear a silence for a few secomds and the call gets diconnected. In the debugs in this case I do not even see it reaching the wav file as there is no entry of .wav in the debug.
I do not know what I could be missing. Assist please.
As I said:
"You set the Default Audio Path yourself (if you like) on the Project Properties. Then in an audio element you say if you are using it or not."