cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat4000 Display hosts connecting or disconnecting

jonesm111
Level 1
Level 1

Does any one know how to set the logging to see exactly when a host connects on a set/clear based switch?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Jones

You can set the linkdown, linkup to generate SNMP traps for a particular switch. You need to set the right logging level to see this ..

snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown linkup coldstart

snmp-server enable traps config

lots of such useful traps are available.. see if your switch supports this. After enabling SNMP trap, you can point to forward these messages to an external syslog server , instead of using the buffer memory...

For logging commands, refer to CCO..

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

We don't manage this switch with snmp..

I remember a few years ago, by default when a connection came up or down, you could see it on your monitor .. the message read something like?? spantree port enable ...

Maybe what I'm looking for is the set logging spantree level (the one that shows spantree forwarding on a port)

I believe the logging option to actually see this is the PAGP logging option , just set to 6 . You can experment with it without actually setting . Use like "set logging level PAGP 6 . This will set it as a 6 level which is informational I believe , to set it permanently use "set logging level pagp 6 default" . Also make sure you have the option set logging telnet enable on .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: